Search This Blog

Wednesday 28 May 2014

5 Ways to Have an Amazing Summer

I know a lot of my friends are on summer vacation or will be starting it in a few weeks so I decided that I would write a blog post about how to have a great summer. Honestly, who needs tips on that? I mean, seriously, you are probably just so ready to be done with school that you don't even care about having a good and productive summer. You just don't want to have to wake up early every morning and stay up late studying all night. I totally get that. I was the same way on summer vacation. One summer, I read for at least 5 hours a day. I'm not even exaggerating. I loved to read and that's all I would do. But now I look back and think, "Wow. I did nothing that summer." And honestly, I can't think of one book that I read that summer. Don't get me wrong. Reading is a great thing to do and I still enjoy it very much, but I don't think that reading 10 romance novels a week is something that I can be proud of.

So if you want to know how to have a great summer just follow these five simple tips!

1. Do something new
Summer is the best time to try something new. You don't have to worry about school, homework, or extracurricular activities. You can pretty much make your own schedule (unless you are working). Pick something that you have always wanted to do and just do it! It doesn't even have to cost any money. Here are just a few ideas of what you can do for the summer (these are some things I have always wanted to do myself!).

~Volunteer to read stories to kids at your local library
~Record fashion vlogs and upload them to YouTube
~Teach myself to play a new instrument
~Go on a picnic with my friends
~Dip dye your hair with Kool-aid
~Write a story
~Rearange and organize your bedroom
~Make a scrapbook
~Start a diary
~Make one of your favourite foods from scratch
~Run a 5K

Make your own summer bucket list and try to do as many things on it as possible!

2. Learn something new
Okay, so if you're anything like me you are probably thinking, "No, I'm done learning. School is over and I don't want to learn another thing!" But learning something new doesn't always mean academics. You can learn how to play an instrument, or learn how to sew. Take art lessons maybe. Learn how to make build something or even learn a different language (and, no, Pig Latin doesn't count!)  You might even want to (dare I say it) take some free courses online for something you might want to study later on in life, just to kind of get an understand of some things that you are interested in. I found a website that will take let you search for some online courses in a lot of different things and they are all free!
Learning doesn't always have to be school related. Keep an open mind and be curious. Learn something new every day!

3. Stay out of trouble
Now this one should be understandable. If you stay out of trouble you won't get grounded. But what if you sneak around and don't get caught? No one will know and you won't get grounded! Wrong, girlfriend! Don't ruin your summer, or your life, by one stupid decision you make. Now I know that everyone makes mistakes. Trust me. Been there, done that, and still doing it. I say dumb things all the time and do dumb things. But that's not what I'm talking about. Think ahead. Don't hang out with that chick if she has a bad reputation. Don't go to that party if you know they are probably going to have alcohol. Drugs are bad news, love. And that lifeguard you met on the beach who tells you he loves you the same day you met him? Please, girl. You aren't Anna of Arendale and this isn't a Disney Princess movie (sorry, I had to make a Frozen referrence somewhere!). Sure he is probably some gourgeous sun tanned, blue eyed, blond haired, smooth talking hunk of incredibly attractive gorgeousness, but really? Be careful, girl. You can't trust everyone. And a little summer fling isn't worth your time. And just another sidenote. Be hard to get. The guys that aren't worth it want the easy girls, but the guys who are worth waiting for are the ones who will work for that hard to get girl. Be that girl! 

4. Stay healthy
I am the main culprit of saying that I will be healthy and eat healthy while I sit on the couch marathoning a whole season of Doctor Who with a jar of Nutella in my hands (and, yes, marathoning, is a word. I made it up right now.)
But in all seriousness, stay healthy, be active, eat nutritious food, get enough sleep. Sometimes it's hard during the summer when all you want to do is sleep in, watch TV all day, and browse Pinterest all day instead of going swimming or riding your bike. It's hard to be healthy when you have a graduation party every weekend. And sometimes it's hard to get enough sleep when you have sleepovers every Friday and stay up all night eating ice cream and talking about boys.
Make goals. Have a plan. Set boundaries.
~Try to be active for at least 1 hour a day.
~Try a new physical activity each week like one of these:
::Bicycling
::Swimming
::Yoga
::Soccer
::Cardio
::Zumba
::Pilates
~Drink PLENTY of water: at least 8 glasses a day. No one wants to be in the hospital for a few days because they were dehydrated.
~Make rules for yourself when eating at parties. These are some of mine and you can adopt a few or set some of your own.
::If there are fruits or vegetables served eat at least 2 of each
::Only have one can/glass of soda or tea
::Drink water a majority of the time
~Wake up at approximately the same time everyday, especially when it gets closer to the next school year. It will be easier to get up at the right time when you have to go back to school again.

Not only will staying healthy make you feel better during the summer, you will boost your immune system and, lowering your risk for getting sick. You don't want to miss any parties because you're sick and you don't want to be miserable on vacation because you don't get enough sleep. Stay healthy this summer!

5. Make Memories
This one is a given, but sometimes you are constantly doing so much stuff and trying to make everything perfect that you forget to have fun and make memories. Loosen up and just go for it. Be adventurous!
Don't just be behind the camera, be in the pictures too. Make "video diaries" of your adventures. Write about it in your journal. Just have fun and make a point to remember it.

I hope you keep some of these tips in mind this summer.

**Also I want to know what you all are doing this summer for fun. Let me know in the comments or if you are blogging or vlogging your adventures, just link your site in the comments and I will check it out. I would love to know what you all like to do for fun!

**If you are reading on Pinterest you can comment on there as well.

{Have a lovely summer, everyone!}

No comments:

Post a Comment